Mac App Store Differences
There are two ways to get Postico: You can download it from this website (direct download version) or you can buy it on the Mac App Store.
The differences between the two versions are minimal, and for most of our customers the decision which version to get boils down to personal preferences. The direct download version is probably easier for organisations to purchase, while the Mac App Store version is easier if you buy all your apps on the Mac App Store.
However, there are some differences between the two versions, and they are documented below.
Direct Download Version
- Automatic Updates via Sparkle
- Stable Builds or Development Builds (development builds allow you to try new features before they are released in stable builds)
- Flexible licensing options for individuals or organisations, including support for MDM solutions
- All features are available
- Discounted upgrades for personal license
- Free evaluation version available
Mac App Store version
- Automatic Updates via Mac App Store
- Stable Builds only
- Standard Mac App Store licensing
- Some features are not allowed on the Mac App Store (see below)
- No Upgrade Pricing is available
- No trial version available
Missing features in the Mac App Store version
- Pre-connect shell scripts: Not allowed on the Mac App Store because they require a privileged helper tool
- Automatic migration of Postico 1.x settings: If you previously used Postico 1, you need to export PostgreSQL connection settings manually from Postico 1.x and import them into Postico 2.